Dracaena Reflexa: Everything You Need to Know
New year, a new purpose: to devote yourself to gardening and to learn the secrets and tricks to best grow flowers and plants! What do you say? The time has finally come and then we are there, ready to accompany you on this new adventure!
No, it is not difficult and you don’t necessarily have to start with series cultivation for the vegetable garden or with the cultivation of particularly delicate plants and flowers. The secret is to start with something easy, perfect for adding a touch of greenery to the house and ideal for taking your first steps among potting soil, watering and small maintenance jobs.
For example, are you looking for easy-care houseplants that are also fabulous to look at? Well, we too! And in fact today we offer you this plant, the Dracena Reflexa, which can give us many, many satisfactions! Here is all you need to know!
The Dracaena, also known to most as the Tronchetto of happiness, is one of the most common types of houseplants, beautiful to look at and very easy to grow.
With large green leaves and an erect stem, this plant does not require major maintenance works, although it may need occasionally some small pruning works.
Why choose a Dracena Reflexa?
Start from here. The first valid reason is that it is a plant with beneficial effects inside homes. In particular, this plant is very useful for air purification and perfect for maintaining the home environment, but also for the workplace, healthy.
Native to the Indian Ocean islands, such as Madagascar and Mozambique, the Dracena Reflexa is a plant with narrow, pointed and spiral-shaped leaves on its stems. It is an evergreen plant and rather slow in growth, but this is not a negative aspect, as it is precisely this quality that makes it the perfect houseplant. In short, it grows little and needs little care … the maximum for you who are taking your first steps!
To grow Dracaena Reflexa well, just plant it in a medium-sized pot depending on the size of the specimen you buy or, if you are lucky enough to live in a rather warm area, you can also plant it outside in a partially sunny place and grow it as an evergreen plant in the garden. After all, this is a plant that comes from far away places where it is very, very hot.
There are various cultivars of Dracaena reflexa, although the most popular is the yellow-edged type. And know that, just like all Dracaenas, this plant is considered slightly poisonous, especially for our furry friend’s dogs and cats who, from time to time, have fun nibbling the plants.
The lower leaves of this plant can begin to turn yellow and fall soon but no fear and no stress: this condition is completely normal since this plant often self-prunes to make room for new leaves.
Useful tips and curiosities
We said that Dracaena is an easy plant to grow, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t need care and attention. So we have collected some small and useful tips that will help you grow it at its best and make it shine healthy and luxuriant. In addition, we have also put some small curiosity on the uses and provenance of this plant that comes from afar but which will perfectly adapt to any type of environment.
- It is a plant that is easy to grow and quite tolerant in terms of exposure and climatic conditions, perfect for all black thumbs and for the novice gardener. In short, if you are approaching gardening and plants and flowers, you know nothing about it, this plant is perfect for paving the way.
- Consider the possibility of propagating new plants starting from a cut of the stem, then removing the lower leaves and placing them in a jar of water where the plant will produce new roots. After the appearance of the new roots, it is enough to make a transplant in a new pot.
- The name of this plant derives from the Greek word “dracaena” which means female dragon. A strong, sure and determined name.
- This plant is very popular in the Hawaiian islands and is used for the preparation of various floral compositions. Did you know?
- This plant needs intense and indirect light. Unfortunately, however, the intense and direct sun will burn the leaves and the low light will fade its peculiarity with yellow-green stripes and the plant … Will literally begin to lose blows.
- If planted in the ground, ensure rapid drainage of the plant to prevent root rot or excess water. And like all Dracaenas, Reflexa also likes to live on the dry side, which means that about half of the topsoil will dry out before you give them a drink. If the soil looks too heavy, add some sand to a better drain.
- In spring and summer, when the plant actively grows, feed it with a good specific fertilizer.
- Since it is a plant from places with high humidity, Dracaena Reflexa can show brown leaf tips if the humidity is too low. A simple and effective solution? Place the pot on a bed of wet pebbles or spray it regularly with water to increase humidity, which is also useful for eliminating potential parasites.
- The plant, of course, is not immune to pests so if you see small brown or reddish spots, it is very likely that the plant has been affected. Keep an eye on the leaves and, in case of visible spots of pests, remove the affected leaves.
Other useful information
Dracaena is robust plants, very robust, so much so that they are considered literally ” indestructible “. These are plants in the form of easy-to-grow shrubs that adapt to our homes without any particular problems, provided that a constant temperature of at least 20 ° C and good humidity is always maintained. And considering that during the winter the average temperature inside the house is just that, you can start growing this plant right away, right now!